Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January 20, 2014

Kia Ora Whanau!!!

Well I am safely in my new area!!! It is a neat little town right on the Tasman sea with a river running through the middle. The name of the town is Wanganui but some people spell it Whanganui but it is said the same way. I think that the decision by President to put me here was a little bit of a last minute decision. My companion, Elder xxxxxxx from xxxxxxx, had a pretty rough companion last transfer. Many times they did not get along. It ended up often with the old missionary not talking to him for a couple hours. So far we haven't had any problems with our companionship. I think President put me here to help out my new companion. He has been through lots of tough stuff as a missionary, with the work, the ward, and companions. But we are excited to get started working again! 
One crazy thing that happened this week was that there was an earthquake! And the center was like 50 km from my last area! And we felt it all the way out here, much farther than 50 km from the epicenter. It was pretty mild here but it was out of it to feel the ground move like that under your feet. it kinda felt like being on a shaky elevator but not actually moving. It was a 6.3 I heard. Here it only lasted for a couple of minutes, maybe 5 at the longest. Still exciting to be in my first ever earthquake!
There are lots of great people here but the ward is kinda struggling. There are many people who in some way or another were offended to the point where they don't want to come back to church. That is pretty sad. We have a few investigators, but none of them are truly that golden one that we want. The like having us over but aren't really progressing much. The members kinda say they want to help but then don't actually end up doing much. Then they get upset with us because the investigators aren't integrated into the church. It is going to be a struggle to work here but it will be fun too! I am excited to all the new things that are in store. 

The last couple days in Masterton were pretty awesome. The highlight of those days was the trip to the Castlepoint beach. I will attach a photo or two of that area! Really awesome!!!
Well that is about all I have for this week. I don't really know much what to say other than I am a little nervous but also excited about the new area! Hope all is going well with you!!!

Elder Burnham

This is Castlepoint! We wanted to go up on that big cliff in the background but we didn't have enough time. This is one the East coast! Next week I will bring pictures from the West coast of NZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment