Sunday, December 22, 2013

December 22, 2013

Dear Whanau! (That's family in Maori!)
Merry Christmas!!!! It is weird to me that it is Christmas time because it is HOT here. Not like warm but hot. On Saturday we had a missionary car wash. I decided since we were washing cars that it would be a good idea to wear my flip flops (here they are called "jandals"). The car wash went really well, we had about 20 cars come through. We held it at the Chapel so that we could offer tours and DVDs and such to help out with our missionary efforts. Most people were not too interested, but would take a DVD or something and make a donation to the Church. There was something that was really cool that happened. There was a young woman who was walking down the street and she just started talking to the Sisters. I guess she was pretty interested because she took a Book of Mormon and hung out with the sisters for another hour or so at the car wash. She said she was going to come to church tomorrow but something came up and she wasn't able to come. But still a really solid potential for the sisters, and a miracle for sure! So back to my smart decision  of wearing sandals, just check out the picture I will attach. I guess that is what happens when you spend a couple hours in the sun...it doesn't hurt as bad as it looks though.
Yesterday we went carolling at a rest home. Our investigator Michael was the one who set it up for us because he works there! We had about 20 members come and we split into two groups and went around singing to the old people there. They really enjoyed it and so did I! It kinda reminded me of singing in Chamber at Oak Ridge. After we were done singing, they had afternoon tea for us in a reception hall sort of thing. That was super awesome. It was good for Michael too because he got to work with the Bishop to get it all organized. It for sure made him feel more welcome in the ward. He came to church with us yesterday, along with 4 other of our investigators, the most we have ever had! I guess that is what Christmas time will do! They all really enjoyed it and so did we. 
The other day we were biking around and we decided to make a quick stop at the secondhand shop so I could look for a suit! I tried a couple on and picked a sweet one out. I will send a picture of it too! It is a dark blue color and has some sweet buttons on it! I also went the other day into the store in town called Farmers and got myself a Christmas gift. They had some dress slacks that were 50% off so I got two nice pairs of slacks for $70! It was a really good deal! I just hope they hold up to the assault of my bike seat! So now I have some clothes to wear! I am still thinking I can fix the two black suit pants with some patches, just haven't found the time to do it yet. That is pretty much my excitement for the week. Nothing too out of the ordinary this week though. We did go on exchanges this week so I spent a day in Carterton again with Elder Jacobsen who was in the same intake as me. It was a good day down there but an even better one for my companion up here. We had a lesson with an investigator, Owen. He seems to be doing really well now. I heard he opened up a lot more to the missionaries and shared more of his past. We are hoping to be able to meet with him again but we are having trouble getting a hold of him. 
Well we are all set for Christmas this week. We have a million places we can go and eat. We are probably going to explode from too much food. We have a set breakfast/brunch at 10 and a lunch at 2. We don't have anyone set for dinner which is good. I don't think we could handle three Christmas meals! 
Well that is about it for the week! I will send a couple more pictures that I took this week! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! Love you lots!
Love,

Elder Burnham






                                                       Sunburned Feet
                     

                                                                 Suit with sweet buttons
                                 

                                      This is a dinner from Michael our investigator, yum! 



P.S.  From Derek's mom,  Derek wants to thank all who donated a tie.  He loves them and is grateful you gave one to him.  To the rest of you, Derek wanted more ties, so I had a few people donate their ties, not new ones so when he wore it he could say, this is a tie Dad wore or this is a tie Karl wore.  If you would like to have Derek wear your tie on his mission, add a comment and I can let you know where to send it.

No comments:

Post a Comment