Thursday, December 19, 2013

November 24, 2013

Dearest Family,

So last week was kinda embarrassing when I thought it was Thanksgiving! I guess I thought it was the third Thursday in November not the fourth. Oh well! Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a nice turkey dinner and think of me! We are having Zone Conference on Thursday. I don't really know what goes on at Zone Conferences or how long they are or anything like that but I am excited! I hear there will be food there so I should be eating well on Thanksgiving! Also, tomorrow (tuesday) is Elder Christensen's birthday! I am trying to get something together for a member or somebody to have a big feed for him. We are going to be doing service in the morning, I am not too sure how excited he is about that. We had district meeting on Wednesday and had a nice big fish and chips lunch as a district and some cake for pudding after! That was pretty cool. We had it at this nice park by a little late where lots of ducks hang out. They could smell our food and all started running toward us. I left a chip on the ground for them to eat but if any ducks came close I would scare them away. Pretty childish but it was really funny haha. 
We went on exchanges this week. So because my comp is the District leader he goes on exchanges, and therefore I do to, with each of the Elders in the District. So it ended up that on Tuesday me and the other Elder who came in on the same transfer as me were together. We are both still being trained so it was kinda funny. I think the trainers were a little worried about us! But nothing went wrong, we behaved ourselves! 
It has been really super hot this week. We have been dying the last couple days. Yesterday we had to wear our suits to church. We also biked to church because the sisters, who usually pick us up in the morning, went to the other branch in the District instead of our ward. So that was really hot. The sun comes up probably before 6 and doesn't go down until like 8:30 so it gets real hot during the days, even in the morning and at night. I really need to find me some short sleeve shirts. I never liked them but they are a necessity for weather this hot. And it isn't really even that hot yet, they are saying it is around 27 or 28 C. Feels more like 40 C. 
On Friday we went to the other Elder's area down to a town called Martinborough. It is like the vacation spot for the Wellington area. The elders from Utah (which is all except me) call it the "Park City of New Zealand." Lots of vacation homes and stuff there. Its for sure a weekend getaway kinda place. Very nice area though. I took a couple pictures so I will attach one of them! We just went to help them out down there because they don't get to go down there often, its too far. We took the bus down there which was pretty exciting. Kinda reminded me of a band trip because there were a couple of really annoying college (high school) girls sitting behind us being loud. But then they got off and I started to fall asleep haha but it was real nice down there for sure a place to visit. 
So when time for haircuts come around, I cut my companions hair (very poorly) and he cuts mine. he does a great job but I guess it isn't too hard when I just have him use the clippers. The dried kiwifruit chocolate is awesome. Dried kiwi tastes a lot like fresh kiwi and it is unusually good with chocolate. Also we had these frozen coke with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce things at Burger King. That was an unusual but tasty combination as well. We cook probably two thirds of our lunches and dinners. Maybe a little less. Some weeks it is more and some less. We usually just do easy stuff like instant noodles and grilled cheese and frozen pies and chips. I did make tacos once but international food is expensive. For breakfast I usually have cereal. We buy this cereal called Wheet-Bix. I am pretty sure it is a NZ/AUS only thing. It is like these little flaky biscuit things that are the size of a granola bar. I crush them up and put cornflakes and tropical muesli on top. The muesli is like oats and some bran things and...believe it or not...dried fruit! And I enjoy it! Crazy huh! But that is my usual breakfast. 
So transfers are next week. I am hoping that Elder Christensen and I stay together but I have no clue! I hear that people don't usually spend a long time here in Masterton. Also I think that after our training is done we usually move. I do love the people here and don't want to leave so I am sure hoping that happens! We will know on Monday if we are transferred and then leave on Wednesday or Thursday morning. So just about a week left of this transfer!
Well that is about it for this week, nothing too exciting from me! Sounds like things are going great for you guys! Hope all goes well with Thanksgiving! Greg, I saw a Toyota GT-86 here in Masterton. It was an interesting rust orange colour but looked pretty cool! First one I have seen here! And I hope that all goes well with Kathryn and the new little girl! I am very excited! Love you lots!!!
Love,

Elder Burnham

No comments:

Post a Comment