Sunday, July 13, 2014

June 2, 2014

Hello family!

Well I am emailing today instead of yesterday because yesterday was a public holiday! It was the Queen's Birthday! Nothing too exciting going on except no work and lots of sales at the stores. But unfortunately for us, even though it was P-day, we couldn't get to the shops because we can't use the car and all the stores are in Timaru. So yesterday was pretty boring.

But we had a pretty good week last week. I made it through my first District Meeting as a District Leader. It wasn't that bad I guess. Just had to do what I have seen other DL's do. Nothing too exciting happened last week though. We did some colunteering at the Salvation Army Store, that was pretty fun. A lot of moving rubbish out into the "skip" (a.k.a. dumpster, kiwis have weird words for things...). We did some more service with helping a member of the ward move and helping another member mow his lawns. I am pretty sure it was the longest and largest lawn I have even mowed. It took AGES to do. And it was a little wet, so that didn't help much. So yeah we get to do a lot of service here in Temuka and Timaru. Our branch has quite a few older people. On Sunday, one of the younger families, the father of which is the Elder's Quorum President, was gone. So they asked me to help them to do the tithing and fast offerings with the computer. I wasn't sure if that was normal protocol, but I wasn't gonna tell the Branch President "no" so I did. Funny how they all relied on me to help out with that. I guess it is preparing me for when I follow in Dad's footsteps and get called as a ward clerk some day! 


This next week we are going on TWO exchanges. Crazy. It was the only time we could exchange with the other Elders in the District and also the Zone Leaders. So we are going up to Christchurch for a couple days later on this week. We will also have a Zone Conference while we are up there, the last one with President Kezerian! 


Well that is about all for the week. Oh just one more quick story. This week, we went to the house of a member that the Branch President asked us to go to. There was a sheep just hanging out around the property. It was a fairly large property. Well we are walking up the drive to the door and the sheep is running alongside us. We knock a couple times and there was no answer. So we decide to leave. As we are leaving, the sheep charges me and head butts me in the leg! What the heck!?!?! Then it continued to threaten the same thing so I just hopped on my bike in hopes to outrun it and it was running along side me! Crazy sheep! Well that's all for the week! Love you all!!!

Love,
Elder Burnham

Hey Mom!

It is for sure colder down here but not a whole lot. We get frost almost ever morning. But it melts away by 10 when we leave the flat. We may get snow but probably only once. Or we may not get it at all. Because we are on the plains, it isn't quite as cold as the mountains that we can see. It would almost be like Utah Valley here, except the whole thing is basically sea level and the mountains aren't quite as close. We cover a branch. Geographically it is a pretty large area. I would say it is about an hour and a half drive from one side of the area to the other. I am not entirely sure though, we don't go to one of the towns that is technically in our area. Something must have happened there but the area is closed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment